If you are currently on the hunt for the perfect job for you, you may be feeling a little bit frustrated if your search is not going as well as you expected it to. There is no denying that a job hunt can be a bit of minefield. With so many places to find jobs today, and so much competition, it can be hard to know where to start and then how to make yourself stand out so you secure the job. With that in mind, in this post, we are going to take a look at some of the common mistakes people make when job hunting so that you can stop making them.
1. Going it alone
– One of the biggest mistakes people make today is attempting to tackle the job search by themselves. Nowadays, there are specialist recruitment firms dedicated to specific industries that can help you to find the right job for you. There are a number of different reasons why you should make the most of their assistance. Firstly, they can help you with matters like improving your CV and preparing for interviews. Secondly, they have the best contacts within that specific industry, and so they will be able to present you with more opportunities. Thirdly, they specialise in matching people to the right jobs for them, ensuring you end up in a career that is perfectly suited to you and can set you up for life.
2. Taking your eye off the competition
– When job hunting, it is important to remember that you are in direct competition with all of the other applicants. This is why you need to make a conscious effort to distinguish yourself from the crowd. Why should employers want you over the other candidates that are available? You are going to put yourself at a distinct advantage if you simply fall in line with the crowd.
3. Forgetting that times have changed
– If you have not been in the job market for a number of years now, you could have unrealistic expectations, as well as an outdated approach. It is easy to assume that the job market is going to be exactly as it was when you last applied for a job, but this is unlikely to be the case. Times have changed. Make sure you understand the modern job market before you attempt to tackle it, as well as what kinds of interview questions might come up. Again, this is where an expert recruitment firm really shows its worth.
4. Applying for every job you come across
– You should not waste your time applying for each and every job that you come across. Instead, you need to focus on the jobs that you really want. Instead of adopting a scattergun approach it is better to focus on fewer applications so that you can get them right. You won’t be able to give your applications the time and effort they require if you are making hundreds of them.
5. Taking rejection personally
– You should not be downhearted if you do not get accepted for a job, or a number of jobs for that matter. Today, it is exceptionally rare to be offered the first job that you make an application for. Competition is simply so fierce today, so you should never take rejection personally. Instead, ask for feedback so you can learn from it and take these lessons into your next proposal and interview.
6. Badmouthing a previous employer
– This is a mistake that a lot of people make during the interview process. If you say something negative about your previous employer, it says more about you than the person you worked for. The individual that is interviewing you will assume that you are difficult to work with and they will worry that you are going to badmouth them in the future too.
7. Using the same CV and cover letter for every proposal
– Last but not least, employers can spot a generic application from a mile off. You need to ensure that every proposal is tweaked to suit the job that you are applying for. If you don’t, it shows that you do not care. Instead, show that you are passionate about the role you are applying for and that you have done your research into the company. You need to display that you are a perfect fit for the business you are applying to.
Hopefully, you now have a much better understanding regarding some of the most common mistakes that people make when they are looking for the perfect job for them. If you make an effort to avoid the blunders that have been discussed, you can give yourself a much better chance of your search being successful. Do not hesitate to call us at Time Recruitment for more advice. We can help you to find the ideal job for you.